Our client the owner of a large greenfield open cut copper mine wanted to develop a detailed life cycle strategy for their new 960 trucks that, when implemented, would ensure the equipment reliability and minimise the maintenance costs.
Bluefield was asked to develop a practical life cycle strategy and detailed maintenance plans. As these trucks were relatively new to the market at the time there was limited operating experience and knowledge of them available.
The approach taken by Bluefield was to:
- Contact current operators through our extensive network.
- Obtain experience from the current operators and of course the OEM.
- Document the full lifecycle approach to the machine operation and maintenance including the operating context and limits.
- Optimise the detailed maintenance tasks and develop them in our database.
- Provide the detailed preventative maintenance plans and checklists.
There was no ready-made lifecycle strategy for the Komatsu 960 available for the owner’s context.
Through the Bluefield experience, database and network develop a strategy using the approach shown.
- Strategy developed and delivered to the client’s requirements.
- Millions of dollars worth of savings identified across the life cycle of the fleet compared to the OEM recommendations.
- Significant items included reducing risk compared to the base OEM program.